Sunday 20 June 2010

Puerto Cabello & Trincheras

The drive to Puerto Cabello was beautiful, forrested and grassy mountains all around and blue skies.


Naty was very kind too. She didn’t speak any English (although she wrote it perfectly) so it was an all Spanish affair. Little did I know that she was a model (well she had entered modelling comptetitions) and had enormous fake breasts which I have to admit were very pleasant to look at. She was only 18 though but was mature for her age and I couldn’t have asked for a nicer tour guide!


 It felt like a dream that I was being chauffeured around, to a beautiful port town with some sublime sandy palm tree lined Caribbean beaches by a young beautiful Venezuelan model!

After about 30 minutes we arrived at Puerto Cabello (Hair Port) and began to climb higher to get to one of Naty’s faveorite beaches. Stopping at a mirador I was able to appreciate the sheer beauty of the place with a view of the Caribbean sea, the beaches and a lagoon slightly inland. It was certainly a nice view!
Going back down on the other side of the mountain towards the beach were more beautiful sights with fields and mountains of lush green vegeation all around us an when we reached the beach there were palm trees everywhere!


We drove literally onto the beach, parked up and went towards the water. Naty hadn’t brought her bikini for some reason so she was not only my chauffer and tour guide but also my photographer. The water was terrific, it was so warm and it was glistening with little pieces of gold.


Fools gold perhaps but it still added to the splendour of the place. We literally had the beach all to ourselves and I felt so happy just to be there! My friends will all be jealous when I tell them about this I thought to myself!

After a while i could tell Naty was getting a little bored of just taking photos of me in the water and was keen to move on so after a little walk down the beach, we headed off. Within 5 minutes of driving we got a puncture so beingthe man I thought I’d better get my hands dirty since she was chauffeuring me around so I get the spare tyre out and proceeded to change it with her help. This certainly wasn't going to ruin my day as long as it didn’t happen again or we would be in trouble!
After filling the new tyre with air at a gas station, eating some fast food and a nice tour around the old town of Puerto Cabello where we saw the malecon (promenade), cathedral and some cool statues of Christopher Colombus and his crew we decided to head back as the weather was beginning to turn and it was getting on a bit.

On the way back Naty asked if I wanted to visit the Trincheras (some natural thermal hot springs from a volcano) which I was more than happy to do as I ‘d heard alot about them from Vanessa so we stopped there. Since she hadn’t brought her swim stuff, again shewas the photographer and I went round the various baths striking silly poses for her.


She would look over and smile at me and I think that was certainly her best feature (apart from the boobs but they weren’t real), as she really did have an amazing pearly white broad smile that filled me with joy just to see! Anyway where was I?! Oh yes the hot baths...sorry to state the obvious here but my God they were scorchingly hot. I actually thought I’d scolded my foot with 3rd degree burns when I first put my foot in there! No wonder she was laughing and smiling at me with my reaction to this boling water! I was no whimp though and after a small while I completely submerged myself in it.


After a few minutes it was just too hot and so i decided to move to one of the cooler baths which was much more pleasant and bearable. I noticed around me very few young people, just lots of old Venezuelans and the large majority of them were obese! I felt like I stuck out a little not only being the only young person but also the only foreigner. After a while I got bored sitting there alone so I called Naty over and we headed to the back of the baths where there was a sort of zoo area with deers in one enclosure and monkeys in another which was pretty cool. Obviously it’s nicer to see them in the wild but it was a nice surprise to see a deer so close up and to hold a monkeys hand! I think the monkeys were actually free to go as as they demonstrated they could easily climb the fence and jump to where we were standing but they obviously didn’t mind living there (guess the free food could’ve been a factor!).

After a dip in each pool, one even hotter than the first which I think did actually scold my foot and then a shower to wash off all the sand from the beach we headed off. It had certainly been a fun day and a great way to spend my last day!
On return to Vanessa’s house, it dawned on me that I had no idea or plan about what I was doing next other than that I was going to meet Fabian at some time, at some place in Caracas. This was a problem that I had to solve and so I quickly got chatting to people on my language learning website (here’s a plug for you livemocha and anyone who might still be reading and interested to know the website www.livemocha.com) specifically looking for people from Caracas to see if they had a bed for the night or just simply wanted to meet up and show us around of course the best way to do this is using couchsurfing but I quickly found someone on livemocha by fluke really! Anyway I’m rambling as usual, the point is, I knew Fabian was on the bus already as I ‘d spoken to Francisco who told me he’d left already and I knew that staying in Caracas wasn;t really an option as they didn;t have hostels there and the hotels id looked at were far too expensive and also we didn;t really have time to stay overnight so I came up with the plan just to get the night bus to Ciudad Bolivar and see the city during the day. The only problem with this was our bags, we would have to carry our huge heavy bags with us everywhere and be unmistakable tourist bait for potential criminals!

Luckily a very nice girl from livemocha who lives in Caracas decided to say hi to me and within half an hour we had a solution. We arranged to meet at 3pm at San Ignacio mall and she would pick us up, take our bags in her car and take us on a city tour! This sounded too good to be true but if all went as planned, it was flawless so I sent Fabs a message saying exactly what we had planned and just hoped he’d get it and get there since neither of us had phones.

The next day I woke up pretty early, around 6.30am to say chao to Vanessa and give her taxi money I’d promised her. It was actually a very sad goodbye and I was almost tearful as it was probably going to be the last time we ever saw each other and she’d been so generous to allow me to stay there for the last 5 days! I was in no rush to wake up though apart from seeming a little lazy perhaps to her parents but since I’d had very little sleep trying to sort out the plan and just chatting to people online, I went back to bed and woke again at about 9.30. Being just 2 hours from Caracas, I knew I didn;t need to leave til 12.00, 12.30 giving contingency time for any delays so I woke up slow and packed and got ready. Nancy kindly washed and ironed some more of my clothes and made me a nice breakfast and coffee and I had another nice chat with Vanessa’s mother. By this time it was about 11.30 and Vanessa walked in which I was pleased about as it meant we could say goodbye properly. After more emotional goodbyes to everyone I was finally ready to leave and I headed to the rodavaria to get the bus. Many people were offering taxis which I declined as I knew they’d no doubt be extortiante although I was tempted when he said don;t get the bus, it’s dangerous and thought he’s got a point but I found myself a nice little city bus, found out it was just 22 boliviares (just £3.50 for a 2 hour journey) so that was my mind made! I was sad to be leaving Valencia but looking forward to what was ahead, hoping the plan would run smoothly!

No comments:

Post a Comment